Wednesday 24 April 2013

Beautiful & Unspoilt Supports a Worthy Cause

Beautiful & Unspoilt stepped out of its comfort zone on April 20, 2013.  

It all happened at the Jabez House fundraiser held in Independence Square, Bridgetown, Barbados. Beautiful & Unspoilt made its first public appearance  and donated its expertise to this worthy cause. 

Jabez House is a registered charity founded by Mrs. Shamelle Rice to "empower female commercial sex workers through educational and vocational training so that they could have an alternative source of income to support themselves financially."

Initially, I had told Mrs. Rice that I could not participate because I did not have any business cards or display materials, nor could I afford to buy any.  I believed that I would not have been taken seriously without these things and I really wanted to make a good impression.

I voiced my concerns to Mrs. Rice who encouraged me to get creative, make the most of what I had  and to stop focusing on what I didn't have.  Armed with this advice and help from my 'critique committee' (my mum and best-friend); I prepared for the big day.  Something inside of me did not want to miss this opportunity and I knew the information that I had to share was very important.




I chose the theme was 'Make-up Hygiene? What's That?' which focused on protecting your skin, make up and brushes/sponges from germs, bacteria and infections.  

Make-up hygiene is a very important aspect of make-up but it is often overlooked.  It is all about Keeping It Clean (K.I.C - pronounced kick) which involves -

  1. Washing/sanitising your hands before applying your make-up
  2. Cleansing your face before applying your make-up
  3. Washing your brushes weekly
  4. Replacing your sponges/puffs as needed
  5. Throwing away expired make-up (it was not made to last forever)
  6. Not blowing on your make-up or brushes because the air you blow will contain saliva
  7. Not using someone else's make-up
  8. Not lending someone your make-up
  9. Using a cosmetic sanitizer - a popular brand is Beauty So Clean
  10. Removing make-up from your face before going to bed


My mum agreed to accompany me when I asked her to come.  Somehow we ended up wearing the same colour.  We only realized when we came out of our rooms and we joked about it the whole day.  Her presence was a much needed source of support and she also helped me with the layout of my display.  

I must confess that I was very nervous leading up to the event.  This was my first time behind the table answering questions and thankfully everything went better than I could have imagined.  

I enjoyed interacting with those who came armed with their questions and I helped them to solve various make-up issues that they were having.  The lone gentleman who stopped by the table realized that skin care was important for men too.  He realized that the make-up hygiene tips (which were not relevant to him) would benefit his female friends and family.  

It truly was a special day.  I hope that you will K.I.C everyday to keep the germs, bacteria and infections far away.


"...because your make-up should always BE (Blend and Enhance)." - Nakita Squires

No comments:

Post a Comment